Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas post turned day's events turned Korean tidbits

For the record, I had full intention of making this post entirely about the Christmas weekend. However, as I started writing it I realized my brief "day's events" recap/warm-up turned into a full-on stand-alone post. Therefore, I'm turning this entire post into a Christmas warm-up. Enjoy. Or don't. I'm not the one killing time reading some punk's blog.

As I sit here, still a little clammy from shootin hoops in the gym with Roger, Jun-Young, and Mr. Lee (who will from now on be known as Min-Chul....I finally learned his name!), I've decided it's about time to reflect upon the weekend that was, Christmas in the ROK.

But first, let me give you a QUICK recap of the day's events:

Winter vacation started today! I was told I was going to have only first period but the kids were a no show. Score. But let me tell ya, the waiting game that ensues after the bell rings at Korean schools is quite the mind game. For the record, we all came here with the full expectation of teaching 22 English classes a week, but nothing can quite brighten a day like a cancelled class. Unfortunately, the nail-biting suspense is usually terminated when 40+ Korean kids come barreling in 5 minutes late screaming, hitting, and grabass...ing. Which you then have to tell everyone you're google chatting with a little something like this:

me: damn
you: what?
me: 3rd graders actually showed up, i dont understand why they always do this
you: yea man that sucks
me: alright well they're all looking at me and ms lee is givin me the stinkeye
you: ha aight later have fun
me: thanks...fml

But today, after sweating it out (it was freezing mind you) for TEN minutes without the usual ruckus parade, I was in the clear. Boom goes the dynamite! Instant fist-pumping jubilation. Besides being bowed to on entering the school by Korean boys calling you handsome like it's their j-o-b, this is one of the best feelings for a native English teacher (no, no one else?).

But the funny thing is, I usually spend that 45 minutes of free time doing anything but productivity. I get so excited when a class gets cancelled yet twiddle my thumbs while g-chatting, checking fantasy, watching NFL highlights, playing Dungeons & Dragons (just kidding......or am I?), etc.

It's getting to the point where I'd rather stand in front of the kids, lecture about Christmas, and play games with them. Maybe I'm starting to grow up? Nah still too early to call that one.

Aaanyways, after skyping my mother all morning, I was ambushed on-camera by Min-Chul. It was his way of telling me it was time to go to lunch. Since winter vacation started today, we had to say bye-bye to the lunch ladies and hello to being on our own (Well, not entirely. Jun-Young and Roger will be showing up to school every day just like me and we've agreed to do lunch together every day. Should be fun). Today was an exception though since the school was treating us to lunch. We all went to a sujebi restaurant to dine on the house specialty. Sujebi is a soup made with homemade noodles, kelp, and whichever meat your heart desires. Much to the dismay of Min-Chul, our table received two orders of the sujebi made with mussles (he wanted one with bossam, or pork belly). It was a little bland, but a satisfying meal to combat the snowy conditions outside.

What should have been an ordinary teacher lunch turned a little crazy mid-meal when a little sparrow flew into the restaurant. It might as well have been a dementor flying into The Hog's Head (I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but I'm teaching a Harry Potter--themed winter camp next week...) because some people were losin' their marbles. However I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed the little guy buzzing my head. Somehow the owner caught it with his bare hands (of course!...) and proceded to parade it around the restaurant. Well one of my more entertaining coworkers thought it would be a good idea if she could hold the embattled flapper. Any guesses what happened next?

A fellow sujebi soup slurper shrieked as the poor little guy escaped mid-exchange. She really blew that one. Talk about a fowl. Young Seong Middle represent! Soon after the unwelcome guest was ushered out and harmony was restored.

During lunch I found out that one of my favorite coteachers, Helena (her English name of course), would not be continuing to teach at Y.S. Middle for 2011. Instead she would be taking one of her THREE allotted years for maternity leave! Three years! Per child! She has two kids so that means she can take SIX years if she wanted. Six years absent and the job is there waiting for you. Only teachers and some government workers are given this generous benefit. The only kicker, if you can call it a "kicker", is that only one of those three years is paid leave. Still, that's pretty nice. And well-deserved if I may say so myself. Pregnancy? Yikes, no thanks. I guess that's one of the many reasons why being a teacher in Korea is such a sought-after position, especially for women.

The sobering moment was momentarily rectified by going out for coffee with some of my favorite coworkers after lunch. I treated Min-Chul, Jun-Young, Helena, and Roger to some Americanos (that's espresso and water for those keeping score) to show my appreciation for them. It was well-received. Also, found out that Min-Chul, whom I previously thought was heading to NYC to work at a restaurant with his uncle, may be staying in Korea a little longer than originally planned, which would be nice. I'm already losing Jun-Young and Helena, don't wanna lose Min-Chul too! Anyways, he invited me to spend a night in Suwon, where he lives, for a soju-filled evening, followed by a day trip to a Bean Pole outlet store (more to come on BP on my next post) some time this winter vacation. Should be awesome.

When we got back, we played a basketball game similar to PIG (see: beginning of post), I said goodbye to my friend Helena, ate some ice cream courtesy of Roger (he lost at basketball), and headed to Starbucks where I am now.

Okay! That was some QUICK recap of the day's events. Now for Christmas. Hold up. Julie just texted. Dinner time. Ah crap, I guess Christmas will have to wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment