Monday, August 30, 2010

하루 1

Groggy, grumpy, and gross, I finally landed the 13-hour flight from O'Hare to Incheon. The flight included all the standard amenities: on-call cocktail waitressing, personal TVs, digital shopping, and cookie cutter super models-cum-flight attendants. After picking up two 50-lb suitcases from baggage claim, we said hello Korea! and goodbye to each other, just like that (Other than Julie, who's in my city of Seongnam with me, I've still yet to see any other Wisco kid since meeting with my co-teacher). But anyways where was I? Korean Air, Incheon Airport, extreme exhaustion, saying goodbye, ah yes! The co-teacher. My co-teacher was in the airport along with Julie's waiting to pick us up. My English co-teacher, mind you, doesn't speak a lick of English. Yes you read that right. Any time I tried saying something to her she deferred me to Julie's co-teacher to respond. Hoh boy. To be honest it didn't really bother me. The SK gov't wasn't spending millions of dollars on English teachers if the current ones were already experts. Makes sense. Our teachers proceded to take Julie and I on a 1-hour taxi ride to our district of Bundang, in the Seongnam city limits. During the ride my co-teacher hands me her Korean version of the iPhone and says "other teacher from school." I take the phone, say hello, and I hear "Herro...can...you...unduhstand...my...Engrish." Trying to be as polite as possible, I encouragingly say yes. The voice then says, "Nah I'm just kidding. What's up man I'm Paul, I'm in charge of the foreign English teachers at your school." Cue: sigh of relief. Since I'm as new to this whole blog thing as kimchi is spicy, I'm gonna try and paraphrase the rest of Day 1 since you're undoubtedly getting bored if you're still reading this. Anyways, we met up with Paul, he showed me my temporary apartment, and Ms. Yu (Julie's co-teacher), Ms. Lee (mine), Paul (also my co-teacher I think?), Julie, and I ate out at a Korean-Chinese restaurant. We ordered enough food for a North Korean village (hehe) and called it a night after 24 consecutive hours of no sleep. Day 1 in Korea: Great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment