Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Nothing funny about Ha Long Bay

I've blogged more today than I have the past 4 months. It's amazing what a clear mind, cancelled classes (i.e. finals!), and a hot Americano can accomplish. The blog train rolls on...

Since words simply don't do Ha Long Bay justice, I'll try to keep this post heavy on photos and light on the text. So pretty much just like the majority of the books I own...

Since we couldn't get enough long, grueling van rides in Thailand, we decided to jump in our old friend and head to Ha Long Bay. Departing before the sun woke up, we got to Ha Long plenty before noon. Little did we (or I for that matter) know but the van ride accomplices would be making it to the finish line with us. Our boat consisted of an American couple from Boston, a German couple, 2 very French girls, a Vietnamese mother and daughter, and some crew. The scary thing about this was that a few months later a boat sunk in Ha Long Bay in the middle of the night and the 12 casualties read just like the demographics of our boat.

Ok speeding up. Explored Ha Long. Chit-chatted the other guests. Took too many photos. Got cornered by a very talkative female guest. And again. Escaped to my room. Discussed aforementioned character with Jules. Cornered again. Escaped to the top deck for more photos. More talking. Can't a guy enjoy this beautiful scenery in peace! Just kidding though, they were nice...











At one point we went into a cool cave, listened to some cheesy jokes by our Vietnamese guide Jeremy, headed back out, and kayaked around for an hour or so. Very good time.

That night, we talked more with the guests (and some talked more than others) and learned everyone's story for better or worse. Then the crew invited the willing out to the bow (or hull?) for some Vietnamese gasoline shots. They said it was alcohol but they literally served it out of a gasoline tank. And these Vietnamese dudes would just grab the jug, take a huge pull, and pass it to the next guy. Soooo it was awesome. I ended up staying out there far too long. Not as long as the chef though (as evidenced in the next photo).


Then some of the crew started singing karaoke and things got crazy so we went to bed. And by crazy I mean 11pm.




The next morning we started heading back to the port. Not before one more excursion though. We jumped into row boats and rowed through a floating town. It was super cool. Can't imagine it's an easy lifestyle though. Nor can you complain about the views I guess.






This reminds me of a video my buddy EG sent me. It's quite an inspirational story of a bunch of kids who grew up in a floating town much like this one (in Thailand though). They loved soccer but didn't have anywhere to play. They devised a way to play some games which lead to a pretty fantastic, feel-good ending. It's 5-minutes long but highly-recommended.


And finally, special thanks to my cousin's boyfriend Mike. He'd spent some time in Vietnam and gave me some great recommendations about what to do, including Ha Long Bay which "was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in my life." I agree Mike. I don't know if I ever thanked him for it, and this is a pretty indirect and crappy way of doing so, but thanks Mike. Greatly appreciated. Mike and my cousin Aubre are currently on a 3.5 week backpacking trip from Prague to Rome and have a great blog which can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment