Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bang-Bangkok

Could've taken that title a few different directions. This one seemed the most appropriate.

This video is very appropriate for a few reasons: (a) first and foremost it's called Bangkok City and this is a post about Bangkok......boom, (b) every morning I go to the Dunkin' Donuts by my school (they have good coffee okay?!) they are playing this song, and (c) it's K-Pop at its finest, and I haven't done much with K-Pop on my blog thus far.

Last post about Thailand! If you're wondering to yourself, I didn't realize this fool just went to Bangkok, I should ask him how it was!, fret not (if you indeed are fretting this, I recommend seeking help.......not you, Mom, your job is to worry about me) for I actually went to Bangkok 6 months ago. Moving on.

Jules and I arrived to Bangkok before the rest of our friends, because we had to cut our time short in Koh Phi Phi in order to squeeze Ha Long Bay into the mix (which was a wise decision, blog on that coming [hopefully not 6 months] later).

We took the cheap overnight bus from Phuket and got in early morning. I ended up losing my sweet Aerolineas Argentinas hat on that bus which my buddy EG bought for me and I'm still a little bitter about it. Sorry bro, 'twas a great hat.

Back to Bangkok. After checking into the quaint 3.5-star Bhiman Inn (which cost something around $15 per night per person....and had a rather inconspicuously phallic looking logo), we walked around our neighborhood. AND luckily, we ran into our friend Brian that we knew would be in the area. Wasn't the most random encounter in the world, but it could have been much more of a hassle to find him. After meting up, we figured that moment was good as any time to start hitting the Bangkok sites. And sites we saw: starting with the Grand Palace, moving onto Wat Pho (because I told you so), and finishing with Wat Arun.











After the grueling ~4 hours of seeing Thai temple after Thai temple (life's rough), getting "ripped off" by a tuk-tuk driver (only cost us $1 and we got a free ride out of it; some scandal that was...), and chowing down delicious street pad thai (~$1), we decided to call it a day by doing Dr. Fish. You know, the thing where you dip your feet into a tank with hundreds of tiny flesh-nibbling fish. Many villains have actually tried using these lil guys to kill James Bond but to......wait for it......no avail. We got the 15 minute option and I don't think we would have lasted a minute more. It was extremely tickly but actually made our feet a little smoother and less callousy in the end.




After a full day's worth of activities, we hit the infamous Khao San Road for some cheap eats, drinks, and tees. Albeit seedy and grimy, B, Jules, and I enjoyed ourselves. Even talked up an old English couple who were "very impressed by you Americans." Apparently not all Americans hold up a good reputation in Bangkok. Shocker.


Alright speeding up. Went out. B had an "emergency". Got ripped off by yet another tuk-tuk driver (this one was bit costlier). Got VERY little sleep. Woke up bright and early in order to hit up the.......wait for it......

No comments:

Post a Comment