Thursday, July 28, 2011

Quick Update: Mon-hopefullyitends-soon, K-fame, NQ, and Indo

As I fulfill the remaining hours of this week's deskwarming stint until I depart for Indonesia, I realize there's still so much I want to share before I'm bombarded with photos from Yogyakarta and motorbike stories from Bali (what a predicament).

For starters, today is the first day in the last 6 that hasn't seen torrential (and I mean torrential) downpours. Seriously. It's been bad. Some of you may be thinking sure Quinn we've all seen rain you big wuss. Unless you helped film the Vietnam War scene in Forrest Gump, I'm not convinced you've experienced rain like this. It's gotten so bad that at least 32 people died just east of Seoul (and not that far from my teachers field trip) in deadly landslides. Flash floods crippled many of Seoul's lowest-lying districts, including the chic Gangnam area. Here's a video from yesterday of someone in the Gangnam area.

On a much less serious note, the rain also cancelled all of the public pool plans Scho and I had planned for this week. After hearing about the deaths in Chuncheon and floods in Gangnam, I think I'll let that one pass.

On a lighter note, Jules and I made it into a K-Pop video! Let me back up a bit. About a month ago our whole crew was walking around Hongdae (our favorite area to go out) when some Koreans approached us and asked if we wanted to be in a music video. Considering I turned down a similar offer (it still haunts me) back in December, I was all over this one. The song was called "Love" so they asked Jules and I to embrace and kiss. Not to name names, but 1 of the 2 of us is a little camera-shy so it was a tad awkward at first. After a shot or two, they gathered something they were satisfied with. Our friends Mo and Zoe got in on the action as well. Here's the video. We make our appearance at 1:44 with Mo and Zoe at 2:59.
Moving on to the exciting stuff. I'm going to be an uncle very, very soon! My sister-in-law is full-term and appears due ANY DAY NOW. My fingers are trembling a bit even typing this. Julie pokes fun at me and has to remind me that it's not my baby. Deep breaths. Ok, she's right. Not my baby. Settle down Quinn. Anyways, Tonya is a very adorable pregnant woman and looks ready to pop any day now. ANY. DAY. NOW. The little tyke's name is Nolan Quinn Hubertz and, if I say so myself, it's a rather noble name...
Here are some pics of the parents-to-be.



If baby NQ doesn't come out in the next 12 hours then I will have to wait to hear the good news while in Indonesia! Speaking of which, I depart Incheon tonight at 11:25pm and arrive in Jakarta tomorrow morning. It's going to be an exciting week with stops in...

-Jakarta, to check out Olivia's father's bird's nest soup farm. Here's a link about bird's nest soup production Indonesia, a Chinese delicacy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12274825


-Yogyakarta, home to Prambanan, a 9th century Hindu temple and one of Southeast Asia's largest.


-and Bali, home to motorbikes, SCUBA, and some of the world's best beaches.



It should be a great time and I'm extremely lucky to have the opportunity to spend 2 weeks there. I hope everyone has a great August, and here's to baby NQ coming into the world soon! I'm out!

Back in 2 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment